At the end of last year, I made this post about 15 books that I really wanted to get to in 2015, and I also made this post about general reading resolutions and this post about a 2015 TBR Jar Challenge. So now that it’s July, I’ma look to see how I’ve been doing with those!
First off, the reading resolutions. Since I don’t want to hop back and forth between this post and that one, here’s a transcript of what they were, and the bolded ones are ones I’ve stuck to!
– Read 30 books throughout the year – the more the better, though
– Focus on sequels and stand-alones,
– Buy only 6 books for the 30 read (1 purchase every 5 books)
– Write reviews for at least 50% of the books read
– Separate ‘to-be-read’ books onto their own bookcase. Yes, entire bookcase.
– Go through ‘to-be-read’ books and decide whether or not I’ll actually ever feel like reading them. If not, give away or donate them. These do not count towards the ‘5 books’ count to purchase a new book
So so far, not bad. I’ve done four out of six. For the buy 1 for 5, I blame that damn library sale. Not counting that, I’ve stuck to that goal… but I’ve got to count it. xD And I’m slacking on my reviews. Must write more!
For the TBR Jar Challenge the goals were the following (the ones I’ve drawn from the jar will be italic, and if I actually completed it, bolded as well)
-Read a book with 500+ pages
-Reread a favorite book May
-Read a 2015 debut novel
-Read a book that someone else picks April
-Read a book that you’ve never heard of before
-Begin reading a new graphic novel/graphic novel series July
-Read a new-to-you author
-Read a book that is not a novel (DNF’d) January
-Read/watch a book and its adaptation
-Read an award winning novel (Forgot about, didn’t attempt) June
-Read a classic novel (DNF’d) March
-Read a series finale February
So out of the seven challenges so far, I’ve completed four of them. Not awesome. Not terrible, but not awesome. For the one I didn’t attempt, I forgot about it because I looked on my shelves and found I didn’t have any award winners… and then I forgot to buy or rent one. :”D Oopy.
And finally, the 15 ind 2015 goal. The books I wanted to read (and the bolded ones I’ve completed) were:
1. The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking #2)
2. Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking #3)
3. Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik (Temeraire #5)
4. Tongues of Serpents by Naomi Novik (Temeraire #6)
5. The Scar by China Mieville (Bas Lag/New Crobuzon #2)
6. Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancey (Monstrumologist #2)
7. The Isle of Blood by Rick Yancey (Monstromologist #3)
8. Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #2)
9. Dreams of Joy by Lisa See (Shanghai Girls #2)
10. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
11. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
12. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
13. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
14. The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
15. The Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku
By this point, I should have read 7 or 8 of them… guess who’s just slacking all around midway through the year. Time’s up, it’s me. :”D All of these books I still do want to read. Hopefully I’ll be able to combine these books with the remaining TBR Jar challenges and speed up the process a bit.
Welp, that’s all folks. Midyear wrap up out of the way. Hopefully I’ll have better results come December. Happy reading :”D