So September, I got more books – particularly manga – than I planned. I mean, I planned on getting them anyways, don’t get me wrong, but a good chunk of these I was planning on getting in August. They just didn’t come in time. I turned 30 last month and in lieu of a party (plague aaaaah) I made myself two huge book orders online. I made these orders in July mind you, so I could have them for my bday. But the one didn’t show up until mid-September, so technically they’re birthday books. So keep that in mind. I’ll point them out when I get to them.
The rest though? Yeah no totally went nutso this month, hence the ban, which I’ll get to at the end of the post.
This is everything I got this month:
- The Dark Mirror by Juliet Marillier – Honestly I don’t know what this is about. It’s Juliet Marillier though and she’s basically auto-buy for me. I’m positive I’m gonna love this, considering I’ve loved every other book I’ve read by her.
- The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling – This one I’ve heard pretty creepy things about. It’s like a scifi horror thriller? Halloween read? If anyone has this and wants to buddy read, do let me know!
- I also got a cat bookmark. I like it, it’s a cat.
- A Dance With Fate by Juliet Marillier – Again, Juliet Marillier. I bought this on release day with my buddy and we’re currently buddy reading it – should be finishing up within the next day or so!
- A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir – I’ve been waiting for this one to come out in paperback. When it did I picked it up right away, and now I can binge the three books that are out so far. I’ve already read the first one but it’s been years. I remember loving it though so hopefully I like the next two as well.
- The Tyrant Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson – This is one of my most anticipated books of the year, man. I love this series so far, and with my ban coming up, I knew I wanted to get this one before it started, so I did. I do need to reread the second book before getting into this one, but man I am so excited. It arrived today and it’s so thiiiiiiick ❤
- Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer – This one has been on my radar for literally years. I saw it used and about gasped. I snatched up this puppy so fast, man.
- My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand – Again, a used purchase. I’ve heard this book is pretty funny, and that it’s based off of historical events? Should be entertaining.
- Waiting For Spring vols 5-7 by Anashin – I really enjoyed vols 1-4 of this, so I’m hoping it keeps being all fluffy like it has been! These were all birthday manga.
- Spy x Family vols 1-2 by Tatsuya Endo – This is a new one for me: I’ve heard only good things about it so my hopes are high! Vol 1 of this was birthday manga.
- Kakuriyo vols 4-6 by Waco Ioka – This is a series I’ve been raving about recently. I wrote a blabber on the first two volumes if you’re interested. I am very, very happy to have these. These were all birthday manga.
- Silver Spoon vols 5-6 by Hiromu Arakawa – This is a series I’ve been slowly making my way through for a while. I wrote a blabber on vol 1 back when I first started it. Since then it’s only gotten better! These were all birthday manga.
- Noragami vol 4 by Adachitoka – This is another series I’m slowly making my way through. I hasn’t 100% gripped me yet but it’s interesting and definitely has potential, so I know I could still end up loving it!
- Kamisama Kiss vol 1 by Julietta Suzuki – This is a new one, purchased totally on a whim, if I’m being honest. I find some of the best manga that way so hopefully this is one of those.
- The Way of the House Husband vol 4 by Kousuke Oono – Continuing this series, I love it. It’s so wholesome and hilarious.
- Candy Color Paradox vols 3-4 by Isoku Natsume – Another series I’ve grown rather fond of. It’s nice and cute. These were all birthday manga.
- Yarichin Bitch Club vol 3 by Tanaka Ogeretsu – This is a series that’s so entertaining. It’s absolutely insane, so don’t go into expecting like… plot. Hah. This was a birthday manga.
- Given vols 2-3 by Natsuki Kizu – This is the opposite though: Lots of plot and wonderfulness. I really, really like this series. These were all birthday manga.
- Takane & Hana vol 4 by Yuki Shiwasu – This is another one of those ‘has potential but not 100% sold’ series. I’m getting this one vol at a time because of that. It’s decent so far though.
- Graineliers vol 1 by Rihito Takarai – This was a really, really interesting one, I’m glad I picked it up. It’s definitely not quite what I was expecting, but I ended up really liking it at the same time. Definitely gonna get more of this one after the ban.
- Act-Age vol 2 by Tatsuya Matsuki – This one I picked up after rather enjoying the first one. I ended up liking this one too, though not quite as much as volume 1. We’ll see if vol 3 ever is even translated.
- A Man & His Cat vol 2 by Umi Sakurai – This one I was really looking forward to. Volume 1 was so sweet and cute and wholesome, and I’m sure those themes continue here.
And that’s it for books and manga! As you can see, I got a fair few. Hence:
The Book Buying Ban
So, for the last few years, I made it a reading resolution to do a 2-3 month book buying ban. I think a few years ago, I even did a 4 month one. I’m actually really good at sticking to the bans. I figured I’d give myself a break this year, and didn’t schedule one, didn’t think I needed one.
Well, apparently, I do. My TBR goal this year is in danger of being failed, so this ban is to help me out with that.
I’ve never broken one, and I don’t expect it to change this time either. After this latest haul, my unread physical novels number at 241. My goal for end of year is 200. So obviously if I keep buying books I’m not gonna make that. (And honestly I might not make it now. In addition to needing to really focus on reading more, I will also likely need to do a purge.)
If I do a purge, I can already think of a handful of books I’ll probably drop: ones I’ve owned for literal years and never picked up. We’ll see what happens.
Regardless, I need to just not buy anymore books for a while.
So from today until December 15th, I’m on a ban. And because of that there won’t be any hauls in October or November. December will likely have one because of Christmas, but I’ll be off my ban by then anyways, and won’t be counting Christmas gifts towards this year’s goal. I’ll throw them on Jan 1st for next year’s goal instead.
As stated, I’ve never failed one of these. If you go through my post history, you can see past bans and see that I’ve always completed them. So if you do see me hauling books this fall, do call me out on it. I mean I’m pretty certain I’ll be fine, but there’s nothing like the threat of internet shame to keep me in line, right?
So lemme know what you think about these books! Lemme know what you think about the ban! Happy reading!
You must be logged in to post a comment.