Today I’m announcing that I’m going to be putting myself on that ‘Read 5, Buy 1’ book limit thing that I’ve seen flitting around. Why is this?
- I officially own more unread books than read books.
- I just posted a haul, what, three days ago? And I’ve since acquired four more books and it’s only six days into the month… :”D
- I’ve noticed that if I’m bored and looking for something to do, my default activity is ‘Go the bookstore’ not ‘Read the books you already damn have’. Aaaand that’s probably not the best way to go about things.
So yes, I think I need this. At the moment, I couldn’t even tell you how many books I own that are unread. I just know by looking at my shelves that it’s more than half. So I’m going to limit myself, woot. There are more important things I should be spending my money on anyways. Like bills.
My rules for myself:
- Read five books personally owned before buying a new one
- Manga count as 1/5 of a book. So I have to read five manga for them to count as one of the five books I need.
- Borrowed/library books don’t count towards the count
- Monthly wrap-ups will now include progress for this thing.
So as I’ve stated – I’ve already purchased four more books since my last haul, so there will be another haul at some point this summer including those and any I earn during this limit thing.
Two other things to note:
- My birthday is in August. Books received from that won’t count as ‘Buy 1’ books.
- Half Price Books is having a clearance sale near me at the end of July. I’ve been waiting for this thing all year, man. Everything is two bucks. TWO. Not gonna count this against me either.
- Hush, I know. You don’t have to say it. As long as I stick to this goal other than this gonna-be-horrendous-and-wonderful-exception, I’ll be happy with myself.
Mostly, I just want to see if I can do it. I’m a very impulsive shopper – with groceries, books, clothes… everything. I want to prove to myself that I can manage this thing. At some point, I’ll count the number of books I need to read and maybe that’ll click in my brain better, but for now, I want to see how far my will power can go before I inevitably crack like the egg I am. :”D